Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I wish I was in Virginia Beach about now

You know that it is a crappy winter when Virginia Beach and coastal North Carolina get over or suppose to get over 6 inches of snow. Virginia Beach is suppose to get 6-10 inches of snow.  Good grief, it has been at least 3 years since we have seen that kind of snow and we use to get snow every winter.  Now here in Central Virginia, we don't get lake effect snow like New England or Michigan, but we usually get a few good snowfalls in, this here. We have had 0.56 inches (though I think that was being generous) and now a coating. I guess more could be added tonight, but I am not holding my breath. We still have February and March to get through, but I would really like warm weather, this high in the 20's and lows in the teens and single digits is for the birds. I am sitting here in the my living room and I can feel the cold air seeping in from our side door even with the gas log fireplace going. I realize how spoiled we are, we have indoor plumbing and heat and replacement windows that have made a big difference. I can't imagine what winters were like during the 1910's and 1920's  especially in the Midwest. I don't think I could have survived. I recently finished the book, The Orphan Train  and in it the main character wakes up to frost on her cheeks because it is so cold in the house.  She describes the house she was living in, in Minnesota as being dark and extremely drafty due to the spaces between the boards and the lack of warm clothes and blankets. I can't imagine surviving the winter in Minnesota in a house that is so primitive or even having to go outside to use an outhouse during the cold winter. I don't even like going to my car, I could imagine having to use the bathroom outside.  So basically I shouldn't complain because I have it pretty darn good, probably better than most, but I get terribly grumpy when I am cold.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails