Monday, May 04, 2009

get smart

After four years teaching high school biology I was burned out.
Though having the summers and snow/ice days off was nice, it was really hard and I really don't want to go back.
I can't handle the parents, but I love biology and teaching.
I need flexibility with having small children because I don't want to go back to work full time and be gone all day.
I don't really want to work at all, but it would help to bring in some income and we are talking a job a few years down the road, not in the next year.
I have wanted to teach at the community college level for some time now and with Lily getting older and no plans right now for more children I decided to pursue my goal of getting my graduate degree (though my actual goal from high school was a doctorate, a masters is a step in that direction).
This afternoon I called up the community college to ask them what type of masters degree or requirements I would need to teach Biology at the community college. Then I called a small college in town and requested information on their graduate program, one that hopefully might have the required 18 credit hours in Biology I would need for community college.
They are having an information session next Tuesday and I am signed up to go.
I am excited about possibly pursuing a job with flexibility and using my degree again.
I am nervous about trying to handle graduate level biology classes, my degree is in Biology, but I also graduated 9 years ago, I am a little rusty and so much has changed, thanks Human Genome Project.
I am also a bit nervous about trying to complete the work with two small children running around, Biology is a lot of facts, lab time, and studying in the lab and not necessarily at home.
I am excited though about learning again, about using my brain, because lately it has been a bit fried. I might actually have something to talk about at dinner or with friends other than how many dirty diapers I changed that day.
I have a long way to go, I look forward to the journey.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails