Thursday, September 27, 2007

24 hours into operation weaning

We have made it over 24 hours, so far, so good. Lance last nursed Wednesday at 5 in the morning, but it was only half of the norm, so it has been 36 hours since a real nursing session. I was worried about last night, but he did better than I did. We had a bath after Jeff left for a meeting then we went to my mom's house to entertain him during his normal 7-8 want to nurse time. He was doing fine until one of her cats hissed at him and he was rooting around so we decided to head home to change the scenery. We got home read some books, drank a sippy cup of milk, cuddled, and when he started acting like he was getting ready to doze off I moved him to his bed. I was ready to give in if he put up a fight, but he didn't. After I put him in bed I broke down crying. Weaning was for me, the last "baby" thing to give up. Now that I think about it, diapers probably will be, but I was sad that Lance isn't my little baby anymore. For the last 17 months we have been breastfeeding, and though it wasn't always fun or comfortable, it was our little downtime, our time to relax. I am still a little sad this morning, but relieved it wasn't a difficult process, I guess he was ready. I kind of feel like I did on his 1st birthday, excited he is getting to be a boy, but sad he isn't a baby anymore. So I didn't sleep well last night because I was expecting him to wake up and want to nurse. Once again, I didn't think I could put up a fight, but it didn't come to that. Even though I was up at 3, 4, and 5 listening and anticipating his cries, he slept. He did wake up at 6 and I got him out of bed, but I just held him and once again gave him some milk in a sippy cup. He didn't go back to sleep, but he didn't flip out because I wasn't nursing him. He did want to nurse after we got up and before he had breakfast, but now that we have eaten he seems pretty content. Now it has only been one day, but it is not as hard as I thought. Even though I question my decision and wonder if this is the right one, with him not putting up much of a fight it seems he is making the decision for me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails