Thursday, January 05, 2012

crunchy

I have been so tired of paying a ridiculous amount of money for laundry detergent. I have also been irritated at how hard it is to measure the proper amount of detergent to use, I think they do it on purpose so you use more and have to buy more of it.  I am also tired of getting holes in my t-shirts and after a google search I found that a culprit might be an anti-pilling agent in detergents.   Then there is the whole environmentally friendly aspect, detergent goes down the drain then into the watershed, I don't really know how good my detergent is.  So after a session on Pinterest, I found a recipe for homemade detergent and it seemed easy enough.  So yesterday afternoon I grated some ivory soap and stirred and stirred the shavings with some washing soda and borax and wallah! I have my own laundry detergent that uses a very small amount, costs next to nothing, is relatively smell neutral (I don't like strong smelling products), and I think is relatively earth friendly.  So far I have done 5 loads of laundry and though most of the laundry hasn't been super dirty, it seems to be working and I am happy with it, especially since total cost was about $8 and it seems like it is going to last A LOT longer than regular detergent.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails