Tuesday, February 24, 2009

mysterious vacuum cleaners

Oh how I wish I was posting about my new Dyson, but I don't have it yet, emphasis on YET!
No today's vacuum cleaner story is brought to by Lance.
We had a busy morning. Lance's speech teacher is going to be gone the rest of this week so we had speech this morning. Lance fell down on the way inside the school so for Lance today was not shaping up to be a good day, and neither one of us knew how bad it was going to be. Lance wasn't very cooperative at speech, but you have good days and bad days, and today Lance just wasn't in the best of moods. Anyways, we left speech and headed to the library for storytime. Today's theme was "Crash! Bang! Boom!" otherwise known as loud noises. So after the hello song the librarian had a pictures of objects that make noise around the house (car, vacuum cleaner, baby, telephone, door, soda, etc) and a CD with different noises on it. She was going to play a noise and the kids were suppose to recognize what object made the sound. Well the third sound on the CD was the sound of a vacuum cleaner. Within 5 seconds Lance jumped up in my lap and tried to hide from the sound. I tried to explain to him it wasn't real, but he didn't seem to believe me. I didn't think really anything of it until he started holding onto me with a death grip and I needed him to let go so I could hold Lily (about 5 minutes later). Lance would not let go and started to cry when I tried to pry him off of me. Imagine, me sitting Indian style with Lance sitting on his knees in my lap, arm tightly wrapped around my neck, head buried on my shoulder, basically Lance trying to figure out how to hide using me. I couldn't figure out what his problem was and then it hit me, he was scared of something. I tried to ask him what he was scared of, but he just pointed to the front where the librarian had all of her props (including the CD player). Lance did not participate in the rest of storytime (okay 95% of storytime) and was ready to get out of the room as soon as we could. I wish I knew what he was thinking and knew exactly what had him so freaked out. The only thing I can figure out is he heard the vacuum and since he wasn't really paying attention he assumed that the librarian had a vacuum in the front of the room and that he did not want to be anywhere close to a vacuum. I don't understand how one little kid can be so TERRIFIED of a vacuum. Is it because I didn't vacuum enough when he was younger, or I don't vacuum enough now? Is my lack of a decent, working vacuum making a negative impact on my child's life (ha, ha just kidding on that one?) Lance will generally not go in a room if there is a vacuum in it, whether or not it is on. He is getting a bit better since there is one in Lily's room (the quieter of the two we currently have), but he is known to need assistance with walking past a vacuum. Also, he still screams when I do vacuum, and I have to say for the record, I have NEVER chased him with the vacuum, he would probably drop dead of fright, poor guy. I don't understand why he is so scared, I sure hope I can get a new vacuum and it will be quiet and help Lance get over his fear because it is getting a bit silly. It could be worse, he could be afraid of, toilets, right?

1 comment:

Meredith B said...

Poor Lance! Hunter used to love the vacuum and then one day, he freaked out(nothing I did differently, just freaked out). Not, at 7(tomorrow) he still does not like the sound of the vacuum (or other loud noises). He just has sensitive ears. I wanted to tell you that target is doing a gift card offer with the purchase of a dyson ($75 i think). So, now would be a good time to get one...just wanted to pass that along!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails