Monday, January 05, 2009

my dirty little secret

To try and save:
my hair color,
money spent on water,
money on hair products,
electricity,
time in the morning,
my skin from getting too dry,
the environment,
I have been only showering every other day and it has been a hard. I am currently on week 3 of the every other shower experiment and I don't know whether it has made much of difference yet, but I hope so.
There is nothing like a nice hot shower in the morning, but with two kids I don't always have time or the energy. I also would like to save my hair color since I did get low lights with more red in them then usual and I don't want them turning brassy by washing them too frequently especially since I bought inexpensive shampoo this time around, though it is for color treated hair ( I am also trying to figure out whether there really is a difference between the expensive and inexpensive shampoos and conditioners).
So my dirty little secret is out, I never would have thought years ago I would be able to make the transition, but so far I have survived, I don't know if I can keep it up in the summer, but in the winter it isn't a problem. I read somewhere that your hair will adjust to being only washed every other day, but so far it really hasn't. By the end of the non-shower day it is a bit greasier then I would like which is bothersome because I can't really pull it back right now, it is too short.
So not showering every day is one step I am taking to cut back on spending and going green, more like greasy, but every little bit helps, especially when you are like me and love long, hot showers. I must say, I now relish my morning showers now that they are half as often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't not shower every day (in fact, when Bridget was a newborn, I gave up sleep in order to shower just because I couldn't deal with being icky and milk covered) but I am on year 3 of not washing my hair every day. Worst case I wash it every other day, but I can sometimes go to every third day depending on gym schedule and what else is going on. I still prefer my hair on the day it's washed but I can deal with it. And it does make my hair color last longer, and my hair is less oily than it used to be.

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

Even if I shower every day (which I don't always do) it's EXTREMELY rare for me to wash my hair two days in a row. It's just too much work, and I think it's too drying.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails