Monday, March 29, 2010

what do I do now?

So last night I finished up Revelations which means I finished up reading the entire Bible, the entire thing.  I don't think it has really sunk in yet that I really read the entire thing, every book, every chapter, every verse.  I have been a follower of Jesus for many years and I have attempted unsuccessfully to read the entire Bible countless times and I finally accomplished this goal.  Finishing is bittersweet, I am in awe and excited over the accomplishment, but I am sad the experience is over.  I have had an amazing time reading and having twitter discussions with people from all over and I have learned so much.  I am sad that I am done reading about the Israelites and their story, my feelings are similar to finishing a good book or when I finished reading The Shack, I don't want it to be over and I just want to read more, to find out what happens next.  I don't want to say good-bye, though it really isn't good-bye since the Bible is one of those books that you discover something new every time you read it.  After reading the entire Bible, I have way more questions then answers which is awesome because I have a desire to learn and understand more which will hopefully keep me reading and interested.  One of the most surprising things that I learned about myself from this experience, I love the Old Testament, before this I loved New Testament, but now that I can see that the Old Testament is an incredible story about imperfect people doing amazing things through God who is so forgiving.  I also really liked discovering the references to Jesus that are hidden here and there throughout the Old Testament.  I am amazed how the Old Testament makes so much sense with an understanding of the New just like the New Testament makes so much more sense with an understanding of the Old.  I really understand the importance of reading ALL the Bible and not just verses here and there.  So here I sit during my usually Bible reading time and don't know what to do with myself, I am a bit overwhelmed, what do I do now?  I hope that I will continue to read daily and get into a good habit of spending time each day growing in faith.  As a reward for completing the challenge I promised myself a new Bible since the two I have are in really bad shape, but finding something new is a bit daunting, there are so many options.  I am really leaning towards a chronological study Bible so I read everything all over again, but in the order in which it happened. 
So 66 books down, 0 to go!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails