Wednesday, November 26, 2008

gotta see the bigger picture

I so easily lose sight of the bigger picture.
I always seem to think that whatever is going on is as good as it is going to get or that it will be the way things are forever, but things change.
I so easily lose sight of heaven.
Things right now are hard, but they aren't going to be that way forever and really they aren't that bad, we are healthy, we have a home and food to eat.
Things happen for a reason and God is teaching me something, I just need to be open to learning the lesson.
One thing I am learning is that material things really don't matter, especially now we are in the Christmas season. I want the best for my children and I can easily get caught up in the notion that Lance and Lily aren't going to be happy unless they have the must have items, but really they don't care, heck Lance has a blast with a kitchen spoon and a pot, he doesn't need a drum set. He doesn't know yet what the popular toys are and he doesn't need them to be happy.
I so easily fall into the trap that all that must have baby gear is essential, but for the amount of time babies are babies most stuff isn't worth the money.
I am also learning about how to handle money, and unfortunately the only way to really learn is to not have any! I have heard that debt is bad, it makes you enslaved to the debtor and I can honestly believe it now. I listened to a podcast the other day and Andy Stanley said there are two kinds of people, those paying interest and those making interest. I am a paying interest person, but I am moving towards making interest. I am learning to wait especially now when things are hard, a lot of time by the time I have the money for something I don't want it anymore.
The things I spend my money on are different too. I am not so much a clothing snob. I got a sweater last weekend at a store I would not even looked around in a year ago, but it would be silly not to have since it was exactly what I was looking for. I also bought Lance some pieces of clothing from this store, I use to only want clothes for him from more name brand stores, but I now know is silly especially since he is rough on clothes. I am much more willing to buy the store brand of products, especially if it is the Target brand or grocery store chain. I have been not as particular with hand-me-down clothes and buying things for Lily from Once Upon A Child. Buying Lily expense things is ridiculous since she seems to be the queen pooper and has bright yellow stains on everything!!!
Looking back over the last year, I can honestly say I have changed. I am not as materialistic, though I have my moments. I am not such a brand snob. I am much more open to free things and I have realized what is really worth spending the money on and what isn't. I am learning what is really important in life and more importantly how to keep that focus by not look at catalogs and compare what others have. I am thankful for the lessons I am learning though it isn't easy. I do want the best, but the best isn't always necessary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one dealing with bright yellow stains...Danica has managed to poop on almost half of her clothes and I haven't been able to get the stains out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails